Saturday, December 13, 2014

Changes for the New Year, Your Comments and My Thoughts.

  photo Buttonlargeprint_zps7c5c306c.jpeg

Hi everyone,

Firstly, thank you all for leaving such thoughtful comments about the MAGAM blog.  It seems that we have a core community of sewers that love to meet up and visit each others blogs to see what we have made.

That is the best part of the blog community and that is what I want to maintain.   Quite a number of you made the comment that other people could help, and I agree, especially with monthly themes.  Monthly themes would be fun if everyone suggested themes - we could slowly work on them over time.  I can think of lots of ideas on how to work this.

As for editors, yes, another editor could operate this blog, or someone else could take it over. While I initially had the idea, I don't consider it particularly "my property"- we have all contributed.

Some of you have commented that you are not Facebookers.  I wasn't either, until this year.  I joined for two reasons - 1. A University Forum that I had to participate in.  And 2.  I was also in Sarah's RTW fast (Goodbye Valentino) - as Accordion 3 pointed out, this worked well.

I was never going to go on Facebook - privacy, thought it was banal and time consuming and so on.  I always operate via a nom-de-plume on social media as I like to keep this life private and not mingled with professional and personal life concerns.  This is easy to do for those of you that are worried that your employer may find out you Facebook sewing adventures :).  And I do not muddle up my Professional page with my Sewing Page on Facebook.

Some of you are not keen on Facebook, one will part ways, and the rest are comfortable with Facebook.  It really did work well for the RTW fast.  It also worked well for the Stashbusters group this year.

It would be a closed group, so it would only be our community plus anyone else that would like to join.  We can still have the monthly themes, and post pictures there, and link to our blogs.

The big advantage is that if we want to have a chat about themes or our work, it is easy to run a thread on Facebook.

As far as my thoughts are concerned, next year I will have commitments to study, work, and things in my personal life that need attention.     And my own blog to maintain.  Some of you have the same problems - it's called Life, I think :) Facebook is an very workable way to keep this going, and apart from the initial set up that I will have to do (and learn as well!)  runs well.


So, in a nutshell, this blog can be handed over to someone else next year, or we can move to Facebook. 

Mind you, I'll have to learn to set up a page (easy to do) and then work out how to get you on it - I think it is just a matter of emailing you - that's how these things seem to work!).

Over to you,

Sarah Liz



18 comments:

  1. Excellent! Contact me if you want another FB administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah liz..sounds good to me.. I would offer to help with FB change over..but I am computer dumb,lol. I do have FB. but don't do much on it. Looking forward to another year sewing with each of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, I don't do much on it either, but have been most impressed by how good it is for sewing communication.

      Delete
  3. I haven't contributed very much this year - other things got in the way, rather than due to lack of interest. I do have a Facebook presence though haven't used it much. I'd like to carry on, wherever. If FB is easier for you, then so be it. If others can help, great - I'm afraid I can't offer to help at this stage. You've done a great job and this site is one of my favourites. Good luck with your studies next year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne - yes, life can do that sometimes:). I think you will find Facebook easy to use as well, especially if you have time limitations. Seasons Greetings to you as well...

      Delete
  4. Sounds good whatever is easy for you. It has been fantastic to do this and i think its a great idea for everyone to come up with a theme. Going back to uni and then full time work really helped my computer skills. good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy , I think Facebook will be easier for a lot of us - it's easy to upload, comment and so on.

      Delete
  5. Look out Facebook- here we come....
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Maureen - we will learn together :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds good to me! If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - I'll see you the other side :)

      Delete
  7. I have really enjoyed this group over the past year and hate to see it come to an end here, but I understand. I'll consider joining Facebook so I can continue with the group. Save me a spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of it as changing form, not coming to an end... A spot is reserved :)

      Delete
  8. Just let me know where to go. I am in another FB sewing group and it is private-by invite only (just a thought).

    As far as "themes". I enjoy the freedom of sewing what I want. It has allowed me to "play along" more often than not. Not to mention it allows me to fill in what is needed for my wardrobe versus making something I won't wear just to hang out with you sewing divas. Another thing, as a gleefully not employed away from the home person, I do not have a lot of funds to purchase specialty fabric to be able to join in special themes.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyric, yes, this will be a private-by invite group as well - for committed sewers only that want to form a community of like people. I'll set up over the Xmas period and email everyone the invites.

      With themes, I think flexibility is essential so that we can sew what we need or want. To be continued and discussed :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all your work over the past year and I've enjoyed the challenges - when for me that's been thinking of something I need that also fits the theme.

    I won't be joining on FB - it's already too cluttered for me, and I don't want to mix my social media selves. eg blogspot is not linked in any way to FB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quite understand Ista - good luck with your sewing, and Merry Xmas :)

    ReplyDelete