Monday, September 8, 2014

September plans

This afternoon my 27 year old Bernina suddenly started hissing. I was sitting at the opposite desk, quietly pinning and basting, so the noise came as a surprise. Before I knew what happened the sewing room was filled with smoke. Eeekk! I unplugged  the machine, grabbed the jacket I was working on (please, don't burn! Not this one!) and checked whether or not the desk would go on fire too. It was pretty scary.  After a while the  machine stopped smoking and if it wasn't for the terrible smell all looked like nothing happened.  Trip to the repair shop, first thing tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

So, I'm posting my September plans without knowing when sewing will resume. My first autumn sewing will be a remake of Lekala 8004. I made a version of this top in March but I will make some changes to the neckline. The neckline is very wide and my shoulders are always freezing. I have a deep purple knit in my stash. Sorry, no pics of the purple fabric. The sewing room is still a smelly no go zone...



Hope you all had a better sewing day!

Marianne
www.foxglovesandthimbles.blogspot.com




10 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same thing with my then 24 year old Bernina (2 years ago) the stench was terrible, hung about in the room for days! I was going to write it off but my dear Mum said to get it looked at first. So I did. I'm still using it now, so hope you are as lucky with yours Marianne :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn! That's good to hear. Those all metal workhorses can stand a little heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary! Hope yours is able to be repaired. Nice pattern, but why oh why do they make long sleeve tops with wide bare necklines? I ended up taking the sleeves back to short and wearing it for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very scary - I had a scary run in with a cooking pan earlier this year. Do make sure the machine is absolutely okay - it's not worth risking life and limb. I hope it can be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking it to a dealer. Who will, no doubt, start with showing me all the shiny new models. Sigh. From what I hear they have a very good repair shop, so I'll trust them to check for safety. Sewing is hard enough as it is without the risk of electrocution!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree - good luck and safe sewing...

      Delete
  5. What a mystery that those things happen. It happened to an old blender I had. For no reason, other than it was old and still plugged in, it began whirring at its highest speed. Thankfully I was there to unplug it. Now, I always unplug appliances before going out. I'm glad there's a nearby dealer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fingers crossed that your machine well be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Sorry about your machine and praying it can be salvaged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your sewing machine.. know it scared you.. I am proud you were home, it could have caught your house on fire.
    hope it will be able to get it repaired. best wishes.

    ReplyDelete