Sunday, July 13, 2014

July dream



 
My birthday was on July 4th and my mother bought me a short sewing break of 3 days a couple of hundred miles away from home so I had to stay in hotels between days.

I decided, in discussion with the tutor in advance of the class, to make a jacket. I got on well during the 3 days but the jacket isn't yet finished. I have run into some problems in deciding about fastenings as the tutor suggested that fabric loops, as per pattern,  might be too thick so I used fur loops but I don't like these so am now thinking of giving the fabric loops a go. I'm probably doing a modified version of C, with no pockets or trims.

I should manage to finish in July, perhaps slightly off season for a tweed wool jacket, but I took up sewing with the hope of sewing jackets and trousers, so this fits into MAGAM's July theme.

9 comments:

  1. Oh this is going to be so pretty.. Look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Anne, but don't rush - the deadline is not important, but the garment is. I think this may perhaps be more your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Judy and Sarah Liz. I think it looks good so far. I'm not rushing, but am keen to get some last minute advice at last sewing class before summer holidays. After a lot of research and some experimentation, and nearly deciding to make my own 'frog' fasteners, I found some metal, bronzy, fasteners in my local Fenwick (department store with small haberdashery). I think they'll work well. I feel that surface mounting on both sides allows the two sides to be even and lets me finish the CF seams properly and these meet in the centre so there is nice symmetry. There were 2 sizes and I liked this the larger but unfortunately there weren't enough of them so I got the large for most but a small for the neckline. In glad I've got a better idea of what I'm doing now. Removing the trims from the pattern made the jacket slightly to plain I think and these will add just the right amount of ornamentation, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have thought this out nicely - it is always annoying when you can't purchase all the bits and pieces one needs to finish a garment well - creative solutions often have to be found.

      Delete
    2. Just the fasteners to do now! And I think more pressing is required after everything my jacket has been through - all that unpicking and resewing and turning inside out. I bagged my first lining! I hope your jacket is coming along well.

      Delete
  4. I like your choice of fabric. I have this pattern, but haven't cut into it as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I was rather frightened to cut my fabric as it's the most expensive I have used yet! I've used bits of two views and have lined rather than Hong Kong finished, and I also missed out the seamline pockets as I was told they would gape or sag after a while and I wouldn't use. The other pocket trims are false pockets so I missed them out too. It's been straightforward to make but I found the collar ends tricky die to the bulk of my fabric and lack of instruction, though I was advised by sewing tutor. I think it will be a nice jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This fabric looks gorgeous. I'm sure it will be a great classic jacket that you can wear for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I'm getting there ...

    ReplyDelete