Sunday, April 20, 2014

My April Garment of the Month

I was able to get my planned garment complete-McCall's 6886.  I used a new to me type of knit, called scuba knit.  I purchased from EmmaOneSock.  The pattern is a simple one with only three pattern pieces.  Of course, I know longer have a shape that allows for sewing just right out of the envelope.  I had to make a FBA of 1.5 inches, my usual swayback, forward shoulder and high round upper back adjustments also.

During the fitting process I had a lot of pooling  in the back area right above the waist/hip area and ended up adding back darts to remove some of the fullness in the area above my back waist line.  Here are photos showing side view to see how the darts helped and the usual semi side view.

For more details around the sewing of this dress pattern, please feel free to go to my blog.

12 comments:

  1. Scuba is a nice knit and this is the first I've noticed in a print. I really like it and I just ordered two pieces of scuba fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like sewing with it.

      Delete
  2. That looks really great on you - good fit & great positioning of the patterns in the fabric...
    Congrats!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really worked on that placement

      Delete
  3. Good job, dress looks lovely on you. The darts have sorted the pooling out and given you a good shape

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabric and Dress are lovely. The dress looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never sewed with scuba knit.. Your dress is so pretty, and the fit is great. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a nice knit to sew with.

      Delete
  6. I'm not even sure what scuba knit is :). Anyway, notwithstanding - the dress looks lovely and the alterations were well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I have just been seeing a few items from scuba knit in RTW and found this piece at EmmaOneSock. Decided to give it a try. It is somewhat like doubleknit but yet not. It has also been called neoprene which is what they make scuba diving garments from. Too me it does not feel like diving suits. It was easy to sew and work with, not fiddly as some knits.

      Delete