Tuesday, April 29, 2014

May Already


Well, here we are, already entering the fifth month of the year.  It seems unbelievable, but then that's what I say every year. so it must be the way time passes. 

The word May comes from the Latin - the month of the goddess Maia.  Maia is associated with fertility and growth. That seems quite applicable to sewing - our stash grows, and our experience grows every time we make something.

May also seems associated with merriment, with maypoles and May Day celebrations.  Mind you , MayDay is also associated with labour (Labour Day) and with danger (the May Day distress call).

Which seems quite fitting as well.  Sewing is a labour of love, can be fraught with all sorts of emotional and learning dangers where a May Day is put out (for chocolate, or else a warning to everyone else to beware, when the seam ripper is out!).

So, out with the sewing, in with the merriment, grow some more and make it again this month.

Looking forward to seeing your plans soon.

Sarah Liz


8 comments:

  1. Are you from the UK, Liz? I read from several people from the UK and I always learn good things. Like here. :-) In America, our Labor Day (we even spell it differently) is in September, which has also been decreed "National Sewing Month" in 1982 by our beloved president, Ronald Reagan. I only learned this two years ago, though. So, in September, we can say again on here, that sewing is a labor of love for that month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Australia, but was originally from the UK. Yes, your spelling is quite different, but we still understand each other. Fancy having a National Sewing Month - what a good idea - maybe we should take this seriously, as you suggest!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, tell me about it . . . May is here tomorrow (for us). It's 4:16 p.m. here; I'm stuck at the library until closing. I have yet to complete my Versatile Wave bag as I had other projects in preparation for sojourning to meet my upcoming granny soon. I am giving myself the next three days to complete it so I'll be that many days behind schedule for the April challenge.

    Funny thing, I know what I am going to do for June but can't get a grip on what I want to complete for May. Guess I'd better get the gray matter moving.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyric - I guess May will take care of itself in due course :)

      Delete
  3. It's a dark, dreary and cold entrance into May in these parts -- some merriment is required! Great theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your dreary weather has gone on and on - I read about it in blogs, and in the news. Luckily we can always dream with our sewing :)

      Delete
  4. Its funny that in the US, our Labor Day is in September, but we have Memorial Day in May. People frequently mix them up, since they signify the unofficial beginning and end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you pulled this post together! Thank you for coming up with such clever themes for us.
    PS I also like the changes you've made to the blog. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete