Thursday, April 10, 2014

March fail - onto April

March was not kind to me, sewing-wise.  I sewed three garments, all failures in their own way.  It didn't help that  my sewing machine and my serger broke down and needed repairs. Two weeks without machines will really impact one's output.



These Vogue  8929  pants go into the UFO closet for reworking next fall when the weather warrants needing warm pants again.  From the pictures you'd think they're fairly slim.  They're not.  Way not.






These New Look 6217 pants,  though being made successfully by Sarah Liz and Lisa, are going to the thrift store.  One of my daughters suggested I never wear them out of the house.  Point taken!




The last failure was the garment I chose for the monthly challenge, Simplicity 1467.



 Since the ultimate plan was to make the top from a beautiful rayon batik, I thought a muslin would be a good idea.  The stuff I chose is a sweet cotton floral print with the same drape as the batik.  I love the print, despite it not being anywhere close to trendy.  Click on the picture to get a closer look at it.  It reminds me of the Mary Quant, tiny floral prints that came out of Carnaby Street in the late '60s.  Oh yeah.  I'm that old :)

The neckline gaped, the body was overly blousy, the back armscye sticks out.  Bleah.  It looks fine in the picture standing still,  but I don't like it.   The plan is to harvest the fabric and sew it up in a summer dress for my new baby granddaughter.  Babies look good in tiny florals!



So, on to April.  I'll be making these shorts out of a chambray-like denim.  Let's hope for success!


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on Vogue 8929. I have this pattern but not made them up yet. I thought also that they are a slim leg so thanks for that :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only three reviews of the pants on PR and one remarks that she took in the side seams a full inch. That, and the description that they are "semi-fitted" should have rung some bells before I cut it out. I love the pants, though, and will take the time to fix them.

      Delete
  2. I love your top.... you should keep it.... and love it!! Sorry to hear about your flubs but we are in a new month with new opportunities. Can't wait to see your great finishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to hear about your machine issues, and garment that didn't work out. Very discouraging I know, but your blouse is quite lovely, and the print is adorable. My vote with Jessica's keep it. Looking forward to seeing your shorts....I have seen this pattern but have passed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your machines both tore up.... I love your top ..Love the little print fabric.Looks good on you.. Sorry you don't like it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, one of those months - we all have them - how awful to have both of your machines out of commission at once.

    With pants, you have to be very aware of your own style and shape. I can virtually wear any sort of pant, any style, any fabric, so long as they are high rise. I am a very boyish shape. I can't wear the sort of trousers designed for curvy hips/pear shapes - they don't work for me. Also lifestyle - these pants are casual, and if you prefer smarter styles, they may not be right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much waist definition so I think it was the sewn on, gathered waistband that made the pants look bad. The fabric used might have been a bit too heavy also for the style. I don't mind the elastic waist, just not with the bulk of an additional band. Oh well, live and learn!

      Delete
    2. Yes - sewing is a lot of live and learn:)

      Delete
  6. Three unusable garments in a row. What a shame! I'm guessing you've had enough "learning experiences" for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your garments failed but your top is lovely. The fabric is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got that fabric at an estate sale and it has Cranston Print Works stamped on the selvage. A quick google brings up the info that it's a textile company founded in 1807. This yardage has to be one of their now vintage prints. That makes me doubly sad the shirt doesn't fit.

      Delete
  8. I like your top too! Gosh so sorry to hear of your sewing trials and tribulations this month. My pants were made out of a fairly lightweight cotton twillish fabric and you are right in that a heavy weight fabric would not work well with this pattern. Love the shorts pattern you have chosen, and look forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete