I've had a really busy month with family visits, daughter's graduation, grandsons with chickenpox, visits to family and elderly mother and so on. I did manage to make my older grandson a pair of shorts from an old pattern I picked up, slightly modified for today's style but don't have a photograph - he came down with chickenpox just after this and was probably already under the weather a bit; his younger brother already had chickenpox during the visit to us but was neither up not down with it, having just a few spots, too
I'm not going to be able to do the garment I had originally intended - that will be for next month. I thought I'd make my middle daughter the Winter Street Dress from Pattern review. No, this isn't my garment for April, well not quite. I don't like the look of the pattern - although it is supposed to sit at the natural waist , it is extremely short and more like an empire waistline. Many reviewers have mentioned this. I decided that if the waistline were in the 'correct' place, that this could be a suitable dress for me to test out using knit fabrics. Then, from what I learn, I will make my daughter one. This daughter is tall but not as tall as I am, and being rather younger, wears her skirts considerably shorter!
So, I am planning to sew the Winter Street Dress for me, using maroon stretch fabric (I don't know what the fabric composition is)
I have downloaded the pattern, printed it out and modified it. I have added quite considerably to the front bodice length, less so to the sides and very little to the back bodice. I have lengthened skirt. Arms are the same length as original pattern - I am doing the full length version. The above shows the fabric already cut out. I hope to get it sewn over the next few days as all the hard work is already done - at least I hope so! I didn't do a FBA so hope that will be okay - the pattern is made for a C cup.
Although I have downloaded a pattern previously, and printed it out, I have not previously put the pieces together and have never sewn from one. A knit dress, with a slightly stretchy fabric, is also a new area. I did a knit fabric dress previously but that was a stable knit with little or no stretch to it. You never know, rather than being a kind of muslin, I may well get a wearable dress out of this.
I may well post a few additional details on my blog, which has been sorely neglected over the last month.