Sunday, February 2, 2014

Red for February

MAGAM Feb2014 by 74Jayhawk
MAGAM Feb2014, a photo by 74Jayhawk on Flickr.

Red seems right for February, what with Valentines Day and all the other Red for Women activities.   I have this great piece of drapey knit and have chosen the well documented McCalls's 6844 cardigan.

I have read plenty of reviews so if it doesn't turn out, I have only myself to blame.  I am a little concerned about the light hand of the fabric.  Perhaps I should use some extra stabilization on the seam when the peplum connects to the body.  Maybe a thin strip of knit interfacing?  Some clear elastic?  I don't have much experience with the clear elastic.  Is that sewn right onto the seam line or is it added later to the seam allowance?   Any advice would be appreciated.

My January garment is finished but getting a picture of it has not happened yet!

10 comments:

  1. I'm planning to use the same pattern for my February garment. I'm excited to see how your's turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to - sew list. Red will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think clear elastic is usually sewn into the seam. If it's a two way knit you can use a strip of it instead, stable direction going parallel to the seam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hazel. I'll give the elastic a try.

      Delete
  4. Definitely stabilize! Also, I have made this 4 times with 4 different fabrics. The thinner knit and the knit that was much stretchier are larger on me than the two that were made with more stable knits.

    This pattern seems to work well for like, everyone so hopefully you love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Nakisha. I already planned to cut one size smaller than usual. Now I'll be ready to take it in at the side seams even more, if necessary.

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of red for February and look forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Nakisha could help out there. This will be such a great jacket - warm, Valentines, it is going to be lovely. If the jacket drapes too much (ie stretches) make a self tie belt. This is just such a lovely idea it has to work. Cut self tie out of the non stretch direction of the knit.

    ReplyDelete