Sunday, February 2, 2014

February garment - and advice requested, please





For February, I've decided to go back to trying for a good fit. I'm going to sew McCall's Perfect Sheath a Palmer/Pletsch fitting pattern. If I get it finished in time, I will enter it into PatternReview.com  little white dress competition as my fabric meets the requirements. I'm already entering with a dress I made for my daughter which didn't count for MAGAM.

I'm having problems, though. I need to drop the bust apex by 1.5 inches and although I have done this carefully, my pattern trueing lines don't look like this on pattern info or in Palmer Pletsch's book 'Fit for Real People'. Any comments welcome, thank you. Images attached.

6 comments:

  1. Wish I could help. Have you tried making it up in a muslin to see how it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A muslin will be a great help...sometimes, it is the only way :( m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit lazy about toiles & muslins, I use the non-iron interfacing for pattern drafting. It means that you can tissue fit easily, to yourself or a mannequin.

    At the stage you are at you do need to trace off and check for fit. Which does mean either a tissue fit or a proper muslin. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, all. I'm following pattern directions and the bust alteration was needed after a tissue fit. My hubby's not happy with the tissue (he's my fitting buddy) so I have now made up in muslin, at least a half body pattern. The bust looks okay but I more need to lower waist by quite a bit. I'm tall and most of my extra length is in my torso. I'm hoping to get to the stage of a proper muslin by Thursday in time for my sewing class. I should have said the reason I'm doing this garment is that I've never made a bodice that fits and have never made a dress. I'm seeing this as a fitting garment which will help me for other projects. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made the muslin as it has also shown another alteration and definitely take it to your sewing class the perfect place for help by others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muslins are such a good idea to test fit - I make them all the time. I think you are taking all the right steps to have a gorgeous dress. Don't worry about the deadline, it's much more important to follow the steps you need to take to get a good fit and a dress you are happy with. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete