Friday, February 21, 2014

February - fun in red

Who hasn’t seen this pattern made up before?  No one!  I’d wager real money that a good number of you have already made this up or are planning to do so. The ease of sewing, the decent fit, comfort and style merits it’s ranking as one of the most popular patterns of 2013.
  
I had planned to make this in a drapey knit I got from Fabricmart but so many people had success using a heavier knit, I changed plans.  Kept the red but switched to a Sophia – ponte type knit that I had in my stash.  I was also worried that the lighter weight fabric might cause the peplum to droop instead of drape.
Like most others, I went down a size and did not interface the front band.  The peplum in the back seems a lot longer than most of the others I have seen pictured, giving it a bit of a frock coat effect.  I DID cut the shorter version – even went back and checked after looking at other folks’ pictures. 


I like it.  It’s comfy and bright.  The front bands flip a bit showing the interior seam so that could use some top stitching or tacking down.  It looks a little wrinkly and loose in the front - on picture but pulled a bit tighter it fits quite nicely.  Some people wear it belted but that's not a good look for me. 

 I won’t make this version again.  It’s far too distinctive to have multiples, in my opinion.  I do think I’m going to try the non-peplum, straight hem version in that original drapey knit.



12 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm working on this pattern right now. Your version is especially lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking jacket/cardi! Very attractive in the color fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This colour looks stunning on you, and with the peplum, very striking as well. Many people make the plain straight version as well - a nice classic line. Should look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of the "will be making it soon" group. Love your version lady in red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is a terrific colour. If you like it so much, why not make up the straight version?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color. I have this pattern too. Just trying to decide what material and color to make it in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, lovely , lively fun colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cardigan! I love the color :)

    ReplyDelete