Saturday, January 18, 2014

My First Fly Front





 I did it! Thanks again for the tips, folks. I faced my fear and put in my first fly front. And you were right, it wasn't so bad. I can hardly wait to do my next one!

 This is a trouser pattern from Burdastyle, 10-2013-127a. Only I used stretch twill instead of flowery fabric.

This is the good side. The other side, not so much.
I have another piece of stretch twill that's earmarked for my second try at these. I'll be wanting to alter the pattern to use cut-on fly facings though. The Burda pattern uses separate fly facing pieces.

I should be able to do that by just lining up the seam lines for the fly facing pattern pieces with the seam lines for the center front pattern pieces, right?

 More sturm und drang on my blog.


11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 1st fly front! Looks like you did a great job as well. I've never yet attempted one as I've never made a pair of pants that have needed one but when I do I hop mine turns out as good as yours does :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning a new skill is always fun! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Nancy - this fly looks very successful. I love the contrast waistband fabric - and in fact the whole look of the pants is very good - much better than the floral ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect new skill to try and the pants looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants look very nice, and the fly front looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job...Looks nice on you Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pants look great. I really like the stretch twill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully executed. I am envious of your skill. I haven't been game to tackle a zip yet let alone a fly front.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice job on your pants! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look good. Fly front zips are great to apply to lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. woo hoo - go gal! they look lovely and the secret colour on the inside is fun. Congratulations. Cheers, karen.

    ReplyDelete