Thursday, January 9, 2014

Finished December garment!

Not sure where December went but I finally started and finished my December challenge. McCalls patten 6084. Description: cardigan, with a cascading shawl. Easy, one hour. Humm. Either I'm the slowest sewer in the world, or some speed demon reviewed this pattern. There is at least two yards of hem alone.
Let me start from the beginning. I cut it out at one house and started sewing at another. (We have two homes because of my husbands work). Two days ago I started sewing, only one problem, no instructions. With only three pattern pieces, you'd think I'd be able to put this together. Nope. So I drove to the local fabric store, found the pattern and took pictures of the instructions with my iPhone.


When I got home I dove right in. The shoulder/back/collar was different than anything I had done before. Don't even know how to describe it other than "this isn't my favorite pattern."
I ended up doing a French Seam on the collar because just about any way you wear it the seam shows. Also the hem on the bottom and collar/sides show. Like I said, not my favorite pattern.
Added a bit of color to the neckline. In the end, it looks nice on. So I'm glad I made it.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Debby - great solution to the problem of no instructions :). I have often found these quick and simple things aren't - and I often think I must be slow too! don't envy you the two house sewing situations - and I am in the RTW fast as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good start to RTW fast. Thanks for this group.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely Debby!
    Is it comfortable to wear? Would you wear it instead of a jacket? I'm thinking about making such a cardi but am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore it with a cami, skinny jeans and boots. And yes it is very warm.

      Delete
  3. Nice cardi. You done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely cardy, but with it being 'not your favorite pattern' would you suggest trying other, similar patterns instead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I bought a cardigan pattern to make for Christmas, but I didn't get it done. I hope it's not a McCalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas time is just so busy. Good luck with your pattern.

      Delete
  6. Nice Cardigan.. Proud you got it finished..Looks comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your clever fix for the missing instructions! Despite your difficulties it looks like a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made a very similar cardigan, in color and style! I used McCalls 6844 and it's my January make. Yours came out nicely, I love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a be dutiful cardi that you'll find very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete